Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A charitable Easter egg

On the first Sunday of April, I was at Wat Phra Dhammakaya in Woking again to join Puja Kaew Phra. Shortly before the ceremony was due to begin (at around 3.20am), I received a very nice surprise:

The Thornton egg, inscribed with Saa-too (often spelt sadhu), was a gift to me from Dr Khanungnit Garnett, for doing a bit of tidying up of a Web site for Eduplus CIC :-) Dr Garnett has established this Community Interest Company in Banbury to help train particularly Thai people in the UK concerning health and safety, nutrition etc for the catering trade. I think that's a very commendable enterprise, especially as it is not for profit. It should help ensure that meals at Thai restaurants are always 'aroy'!

Dr. Garnett also is the prime mover in another project, which I really admire, the Little Siam Trust, which seeks to improve the lives of less privileged Thai people, especially children, many of whom are orphans. The main content on the Web site at the moment is just a newsletter, but hopefully much more to follow. What I really like about this project is that it is the initiative of a Thai person as I generally prefer social and economic initiatives to start internally. I'm also happy to see that one of the schools that was visited is in Angthong province, which is where some of my relatives live. I wonder if it is nearby?

No comments: