Thursday, December 19, 2019

On Channel 3 TV's production of Si Phaendin - Sirinya’s Thailand

Four Reigns, Tulachandra’s translation of M.R. Kukrit Pramoj’s classic Si Phaendin (Thai สี่แผ่นดิน), provides many interesting avenues of Thai culture to explore.

Reading the novel naturally conjures up particular mental images of the various scenes.  As someone from overseas, one wonders, “How realistic are my impressions? What do Thais make of their past?”  So, I was delighted to come across a couple of TV productions on YouTube, particularly one by Channel 3 TV.  Despite its length and the fact that there are no English subtitles, I became quite absorbed and then thought it might help a few learners of Thai language (and anyone else who is curious) if I introduce a few scenes, point to the corresponding pages in the book, and offer a bit of commentary. 

So I'm pleased to say that at the kind invitation of Sirinya Pakditawan, I’ve written a guest post for Sirinya's Thailand, her blog featuring a wide range of illuminating and colourful articles on Thai culture and traditions. 

No comments: